Cars with Panoramic Sunroofs: Everything You Need to Know
Cars with panoramic sunroofs appeal to buyers of all ages for many reasons. Those who desire a convertible-style experience without the lack of roof structure can enjoy the open air at the touch of a button.
By Hearst Autos Research
courtneyk | Getty Images
Cars with panoramic sunroofs appeal to buyers of all ages for many reasons. Those who desire a convertible-style experience without the lack of roof structure can enjoy the open air at the touch of a button. Panoramic sunroofs open much like regular sunroofs and allow for a great view of the stars and sky.
Panoramic Sunroof: Pros and Cons
There are several advantages as well as disadvantages to owning a vehicle with a panoramic sunroof. Before committing to a specific brand and model, you should consider both equally.
Advantages of a Panoramic Sunroof
Panoramic sunroofs allow the sunshine to enter the cabin where you’re sitting, which helps improves your overall mood, reports JCT600 Limited. Exposure to natural light while cruising around town or down the freeway helps drivers feel warmer and happier.
Being able to open a panoramic sunroof instead of standard car windows produces less wind noise within the cabin so your ears won’t ache later. Plus, it is more cost-effective than air conditioning. Owning a car with a panoramic sunroof helps drivers feel less claustrophobic when driving long distances.
Disadvantages of a Panoramic Sunroof
Although the area inside the cabin feels more spacious because of the natural light, there is slightly less headroom in vehicles with a panoramic sunroof. During the hottest summer months, the added glass can cause the interior of the car to become warmer than cars without a sunroof. In the coldest winter months, condensation from the window may cause moisture to drip into the cabin.
Another consideration when deciding if you should purchase a car with a panoramic sunroof, according to AutoWise, is the added weight to your vehicle. Lighter cars get better gas mileage, brake easier, and accelerate faster. This means that the extra 200 pounds from the glass roof may affect your overall stability and handling. In terms of weight, you might compare the panoramic sunroof to having another passenger aboard at all times.
In addition, the mechanical aspects of a panoramic sunroof may present unexpected issues. When you consider all of the parts involved in a sunroof, it’s easier to understand how they mail fail. For instance, the panels of heavy glass, switches, sunshade rollers, and electric motors all come with a risk of malfunction and noise that could be distracting in the future. If you’re sensitive to noise, outside elements like rain, leaves, and other falling objects can contribute to the sunroof’s overall distraction factor.
Best Cars with Panoramic Sunroofs
Some of the best cars with panoramic sunroofs include other premium features that provide extra value for the price. Here are some of the best cars to consider:
- Audi A3 Saloon: The new A3 saloon, says JCT600 Limited, features a top-notch build with a saloon-body style that rivals the conventional hatchback. With its panoramic sunroof, road trip lovers can expect a fun-filled driving experience that makes commutes more enjoyable.
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe: Whether you’re a loyal Mercedes fan or a first-time Benz owner, you’re sure to fall head over heels for the C-Class Coupe’s premium package that boasts a panoramic sliding sunroof and premium Burmester Sound System. Wherever you choose to drive this sleek and stunning ride, you’re in for the experience of a lifetime.
- Range Rover: Effortless and nimble, the Range Rover delivers a seamless transition from city roads to rugged terrain. You can spec this SUV to your liking with several customizable options, including a fixed or sliding glass roof for a totally enhanced experience.
- 2016 Hyundai Veloster: Sporty and practical, the Veloster feels much like the Scion tC with its dramatic styling at a price point you can feel good about. While the panoramic sunroof doesn’t come standard, you can add it for a mere $2100 to experience the open air during your next ride.
- 2016 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-Door: Autobytel reports that although shorter than a traditional subcompact car, the affordable MINI Cooper doesn’t skimp on fun features like a power-operated panoramic sunroof. The open-roof option comes with the premium package, as well as a Hardman/Kardon audio system designed to make spur-of-the-moment joy rides unforgettable.
- 2016 Volkswagen Golf: When you’re looking for a high-value car that offers a panoramic sunroof, and other exciting features, Volkswagen is one company that consistently delivers the goods. You’ll find power-opening sunroofs in the Golf and Golf SportWagen Limited among many premium features.
- 2016 BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon: Ready for a sporty vehicle with an expansive sunroof that features power sliding and lift control, a power sunshade, and a built-in wind deflector that makes cruising extra enjoyable? Look no further than the 2016 BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon.
- 2016 Chrysler 300: Sophisticated and ready for adventure, the 2016 Chrysler 300 features a wide-opening sunroof with useful functions like an express open/close function that comes standard on all upscale models.
- 2017 Lincoln MKZ: Featuring an impressive roof design, the 2017 Lincoln MKZ includes the largest opening of any sedans with a panoramic sunroof. Its fully-retractable skylight is just one of many highlights offered in this midsize premium sedan.
- 2018 Cadillac CTS Luxury:AutoWise explains that this luxury sport sedan comes in five trim options, with the Luxury package offering a panoramic sunroof and a host of other upgrades. Just a level up from the base model, buyers of this package also enjoy a 3.6-liter V6 engine with 335 horsepower, adaptive xenon headlights, a 13-speaker Bose sound system, a navigation system, automatic high beams, and several driver safety aids.
- 2018 Genesis G80 3.8: For a midsize luxury sedan available in three trim levels, the Genesis G80 surpasses the majority of luxury cars in its class. If all you desire is the panoramic sunrise, consider adding it as an option to the base model and you’ll save money, yet still enjoy the upgraded features of a luxury car.
- 2018 Lexus ES 350 Base: If you’re looking for a baseline model that provides the best features of a luxury car, the Lexus ES 350 appeals to that notion. Standard features like a sunroof, keyless entry and ignition, LED headlights, dual-zone automatic climate control, and 17-inch wheels provide the right amount of upgrades to keep drivers happy during the longest of commutes.
Finding the right car for your lifestyle that features a panoramic sunroof takes a bit of research, but becomes easier once you exactly what you’re looking for. There are several excellent choices on the market designed to fit most budgets.