What do the different indicator icons mean on your Galaxy phone
The system icons displayed in the status bar at the top of the screen provide information about the current status of your Galaxy phone. Check out the icons listed in the table below to see what each symbol represents when using your Galaxy phone.
Before you try the recommendations below, be sure to check if your device’s software and related apps are updated to the latest version. To update your mobile device’s software, follow these steps:
Step 1. Go to Settings > Software update.
Step 2. Tap on Download and install.
Step 3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
List of the indicator icons and their meanings
Indicator icons appear on the status bar at the top of the screen. The icons listed in the table below are the most common.
- This FAQ is about Galaxy system icons, not icons related to specific apps.
- You will also see icons related to app notifications at the top of your screen. You can manage the notifications that you see for the apps installed on your phone – find out more about how to manage app notifications.
- Indicator icons will vary depending on your phone model.
- For information about notification icons on your lock screen, please read our FAQ about the Always On display
Network status icons
Roaming (outside of normal service area)
GPRS network connected
EDGE network connected
UMTS network connected
HSDPA network connected
HSPA+ network connected
4G network connected
LTE network connected
5G network connected
LTE network connected in LTE network that includes the 5G network
Connected to Wi-Fi network however, unable to access the internet
Bluetooth feature activated
Other indicator icons appear on the status bar
S Pen connected
S Pen disconnected
S Pen battery power level
Location services being used
Call in progress
New text or multimedia message
Flight mode activated
Error occurred or caution required
Battery power level
Power Saving mode has been activated
Data Saver setting has been activated
VPN service connected
Mobile Hotspot enabled
Enhanced Processing enabled
Wi-Fi Calling activated
NFC (Near Field Communication) activated
Wi-Fi Sharing enabled
Separate app sound enabled
- The status bar may not appear at the top of the screen when you are using some apps. To display the status bar, drag down from the top of the screen.
- Some indicator icons appear only when you open the notification panel.
- The indicator icons may appear differently depending on the service provider or model.
Please visit Samsung Support for further support.
If you’re experiencing unusual behaviour on Samsung mobiles, tablets or wearables, you can send us an error report or ask us a question in the Samsung Members app.
This allows us to take a closer look at what is happening. The data is anonymised and only held for the duration of the investigation. Find out more about sending an error report through the Samsung Members app.
- How do I turn on the Developer Options menu on my Samsung Galaxy device?
- I smashed my screen and can’t use the touchscreen. Is there any way to access my data?
- How do I use the Samsung Music app?
We would love to know your feedback to help us improve. Please click submit to tell us what you think.